Eulogy - Mike Woodall

I met Mike about 10 years ago at the United Way show. We became friends right away. We had a few things in common, we loved music and we were both frustrated rock star wanna be's.  What we lacked in talent we made up for with heart. We were alike but we were opposites too and they say opposites attract, I was the guy in the background and he was a front man, and when he was on, he was on, like when he was the Big Bopper or Easy Rider at the United Way shows, some of the memorable moments he had on the United Way were:

Born to be Wild

Smoke on the Water

Jump

Big Bopper - Chantilly Lace

Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way

The Devil Went Down To Georgia


I had some great times with him. Some memorable gigs playing in the InTransit classic rock band with him and Bob. One of my favorite times was when I visited him up in Tampa, with Carlos the guitar player from InTransit.  He cooked me a kings breakfast, we went to a work picnic and took out our instruments and played. Then that night we did an unrehearsed gig at Murphy's bar and somehow we pulled it off because we kept people in the bar till closing time.

But the thing about Mike is that he was one of a kind. He was the Moonrock baby! They broke the mold when they made him. There will never be another one like the Moonrock. But most of all he was my friend. He was really the only person that I talked to on a regular basis and I will miss him.  He lived life to the fullest and he lived fast, and when you live that way the candle burns out early.  Moonrock, we say goodbye, but we will meet again one day, I figure I'll run into you in a cheap bar up in the sky, and when you see me you'll get out your guitar and say to me, Snake, we are on in 15 minutes! And once again - as there always has been and always will be - there will be ROCK.

 

Comments