God and Santa Claus

When I was a kid I believed in Santa Claus and God.  Everything was simple and made sense. God made the world and Santa Claus brought the toys. Then one day I found out there was no Santa Claus. It was merely a trick parents played on their kids to bring them joy and magic at Christmas time. You would think finding that out at age 6 might be traumatic, but my reaction was more like 'Ok, it figures.' But I have to say, that event, of finding out that there was no 'magic' in this world and that everything had a logical explanation pretty much set the course for the rest of my life.  Some time afterwards, I said to myself, if there is no Santa Claus, then why should there be a God as mentioned in the Christian Bible? I mean think about it, Santa brings toys to the good kids and coal  to the bad ones, and God sends you to heaven if you're good and hell if you're bad.  Really?  I might fall for that as a kid, but as an adult? I'm sorry but I just can't fall for that again. I do think there is some sort of universal spirituality to the universe, and I can't describe it, nor does it bother me that I can't. But I do know that its much different than the God, heaven and hell described in the Bible.

Comments