Did the Surge Work?

Lets think about this. Did sending 30k additional troops to a country of 27 million bring about the recent reductions in violence? Well, when the bombs were going off every day in Iraq, it was said that the only way to achieve peace was thru political means, not military means. And what happened in 2007?
  • The Sunnis starting shooting at AlQueda instead of us (the so called Sunni Awakening)
  • Al Sadr signed a ceasy fire silencing the Shiite Militias

So you tell me - was it the 2 things above or was it the surge that reduced the violence? Oh, you say the surge enabled those 2 things to happen. Well, I go back to logic. You tell me that 30k troops in a country of 27 million can make that difference. I support our troops. But I don't think the surge could have had much of an effect.

Comments